„Urban renovation of Block 19a – Eco oasis“
BLOCK 19A AND PARK
Large city apartment blocks built four or more decades ago are today significantly damaged and are in danger of further accelerated devastation and decay.One such block is Block 19A in New Belgrade, whose position in the central zone of the city and the original quality of the architectural and urban solution with international affirmation require urgent intervention:
- In order to protect the still existing values of buildings and space in the block
- In order to develop these values in accordance with the value of the urban milieu and the needs of users, and in accordance with the possibilities of applying modern innovative solutions.
Position of Block 19a on the orthophoto of Belgrade.
All urban communities are characterized by similar needs and challenges. They are distinguished by the level of equipment and arrangement, as well as the degree of realized necessary contents for public and other purposes. Guided by a project-oriented approach, which will deliver the expected results, at the location of Block 19a, we want to create a platform for the development of the best solutions in the field of innovative, green and climate-smart architecture and urbanism. After the implementation and measurement of the results of the pilot project, and with changes and adaptations, project offers great potential for replication and expansion in other urban communities, existing or newly formed. The project has a high potential for implementation within the initiative of green and smart cities.
- Block 19a;
- The area we propose for intensive greening and park formation;
- Residential complex GTC Avenue 19;
- Business building GTC Avenue 19 of 17,000 m2 with 16 public parking spaces.
Block 19a covers 8 hectares, of which 6 hectares are built-up area, 4.5 hectares are built facilities, 1.5 hectares are inside the block road, sidewalks, green areas, inside the block public area, parking lots and more. Of the two remaining hectares of undeveloped land, one hectare is earmarked for the construction of a park with intensive greening (we propose 1ha of urban forest in the heart of Block 19a). Additionally, climate-smart greening is planned on all possible areas for these purposes within and around Block 19a in an area of about 1 hectare.
Area provided for the construction of the park and intensive climate-smart greening.
Unarranged green area in the southern part of the settlement – 2008.
Improvised arrangement in 2012. in cooperation with the residents of Block 19a and PUC Zelenilo Belgrade.
Improvised arrangement in 2018. in cooperation with the residents of Block 19a with PUC Public lighting.
Illustration of the park concept 2012. in Block 19a
- energy efficiency and technological regeneration of existing facilities as well as future newly designed capacities and infrastructure in the settlement;
- construction-urban-architectural renovation of damaged, devastated, technically ruined and aesthetically damaged parts of buildings and free space of the block;
- planning, design and implementation of additional constructed structures within the construction framework of existing and newly planned facilities necessary for raising the use value and quality of the urban environment;
- more efficient use of electricity, energy for heating and cooling of buildings with the use of renewable energy sources in the urban environment (solar power plants);
- climate smart: urban mobility, parking and public lighting;
- improvement of environmental standards and environmental values;
- urban greening, park complex, green infrastructure and use of existing buildings to create green areas;
Intensive urban greening within housing estates has a positive effect on mitigating the negative impact of sudden, abundant and unpredictable atmospheric precipitation caused by climate change on buildings / structures and infrastructure. The positive impact of urban greening is reflected in the reduction of “desertification” of land, the positive impact on biodiversity, reducing the negative impact of dominant winds, increasing the degree of filtration of atmospheric precipitation, reducing the risk of activation and formation of landslides, reducing erosion and soil erosion within the constructed facilities and infrastructure, reducing damage to the facilities themselves and adapting to climate hazards.
- primary waste separation and waste management (especially packaging waste);
- defining the system of relations, responsibilities and authorities as well as the consequences – the model of behavior in space;
- developments in the area of activity, controls and consequences;
- defining incentive elements for a positive and constructive attitude of users towards space;
- implementation of innovative methods, technologies and materials;
- introduction of circular economy in all areas of the project;
- defining public, international and private sector partnerships in all project segments;
- Establishment of a consortium of “Green Construction” with innovative, green and climate-smart solutions for all these areas.
Key expected results:
- Return of constructed structures to technically and functionally FULL USED CONDITION;
- Improvement of functional, technical and aesthetic properties of built structures – INNOVATIONS;
- Creating FINANCIALLY AND ENERGY EFFICIENT almost self-sustainable green buildings and housing estates with a significant increase in the price of their market value;
- More efficient use of ELECTRICITY and energy for heating and cooling. Use of renewable energy sources with the installation of urban solar power plants and reduction of consumption from the network by over 20%;
- Reduction of greenhouse gas emissions and DECARBONIZATION with reduction of the carbon footprint of a residential area by at least 40%;
- Creating SAVINGS IN BUDGETS of the public and private sector and in households;
- Increasing the green fund in urban areas by at least 15% and reducing the effect of heat islands;
- Creating conditions for a better, healthier and more pleasant ENVIRONMENT and urban SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT.
Renovation and development of building envelopes (flat and sloping roofs, facade surfaces) as a challenge and development opportunity.
ORGANIZATIONAL BASIS OF THE PROJECT
The launch of the project comes at the initiative of the Association of Citizens “My own city” with the support of the “Directorate for Construction land and construction of Belgrade”, “Secretariat for Urbanism and Construction
affairs of Belgrade “,” Urban Institute of Belgrade “as well as with the consultative participation of the author
the original project of this Block by academician Milan Lojanica.
The idea is to use the example of this block to check the possibilities of establishing cooperation between public institutions and local communities and business entities that would, in cooperation with domestic and foreign
scientific-research institutions and eminent experts from relevant fields created a new model of organizational functioning in order to protect and further develop certain urban spaces of importance for the urban future and physiognomy of Belgrade.
OVERVIEW OF PREVIOUS PROJECT ACTIVITIES
2011-2021. Initiatives of the NGO “My own city” and performing a number of activities, among which the most important are:
2008-2011. Animation of competent institutions for solving problems in Block 19a – civic activism;
2011-2012. Development of an illustrative program and spatial concept for arranging a part of the green area in the block – “Eco oasis Block 19a” and collecting a petition;
2012-2021. Networking with national and international institutions, professionals and businesses with advocacy to embark on a comprehensive renovation and reconstruction of Block 19a;
2018. Award for one of the most innovative projects in Serbia in the competition “Local Development Resistant to Climate Change” conducted by the Ministry of Environment and UNDP – United Nations Development Program with funding from GEF – Global Environment Facility.
2018-2019. on the occasion of the activities of the project “Eco Oasis Block 19A” and the establishment of cooperation between “Directorate for Construction Land and Construction of Belgrade”, “Secretariat for Urbanism and Construction Affairs of Belgrade”, “Urban Institute of Belgrade”, Association of Citizens “My own city”, author of Block 19A and Studio “Proaspect”.
Testing of the interest of the stakeholders for the development of the project and financial support is in progress.
The role of public and private investors in all segments of the project is to be defined.
PROJECT DEVELOPMENT HOLDERS
- Academician Milan Lojanica prof. arch., author of the project of previously realized structures of Block 19a and author of proposals for renovation, development and innovation of existing and newly planned structures;
- Prof. Vladimir Lojanica dia. “Proaspekt”, author of the proposal of innovative solutions;
- Srđan Petrović, founder of the NGO “My own city”, Project Development Manager and consultant.
PERIOD OF DESIGN AND REALIZATION OF CONSTRUCTION:
1976. Project of the competition solution – first prize;
1976-1979. Development of project documentation, Bureau of Architecture and Urbanism Belgrade;
2011-2021. Block Reconstruction, Development and Innovation Initiative;
2021-2021. Pilot project and preparation for the preparation of planning documentation;
2021-2022. Technical documentation for the first phase of implementation;
2022-20…. Realization of the whole project.
In a number of professional, scientific and public media in the country and abroad (with high professional grades and public domestic and foreign awards).